A vacancy exists for a Specialist: Employee Relations and Compliance in the Employee Relations department, reporting to the Manager: Employee Relations. You will be supporting the Manager: Employee Relations in operational strategy execution and is instrumental in creating and maintaining an environment conducive to productive and non-adversarial employee relations within the Company. You will provide guidance and support to employees, first line management and senior management with regards to employee and labour relations matters and ensure effective communication through established communication structures.
Key Performance Areas:
- Maintaining HSE standards;
- Advising, guiding, and supporting managers and employees on all matters relating to individual and collective employee relations;
- Ensuring effective case management in disciplinary and grievance cases, performance and behaviour improvement matters, and absence management through effective caseload management and scheduling of subordinates’ time;
- Monitoring and analysing trends in employee relations matters and proposing appropriate proactive actions;
- Providing coaching to Employee Relations Advisors on legal aspects of procedural and substantive fairness as well as evidentiary requirements in the disciplinary process;
- Assisting or representing management in statutory conciliation proceedings;
- Representing the Company or actively overseeing and advising legal counsel during arbitration proceedings as per the ER Manager mandate;
- Coordinating and arranging stakeholder engagement meetings;
- Assisting with the identification and development of an employee relations database that can improve policy matters and improve Employee Relations services;
- Overseeing and ensuring compliance with required company legal appointment process.
Requirements and experience:
- Grade 12, with a recognized 4 – year Bachelor of Law (LLB) Honours (Level 8); OR
- A recognized 3 – year National Diploma in Law (NQF Level 6);
- A Master in Labour Relations Management will be an added advantage;
- For a candidate with a bachelor’s degree: A minimum of 5 years’ cross-functional experience on a Specialized/Senior Legal Advisor level of which 3 years should include supervision. Experience in dealing with the interpretation of the Labour Act and employment contracts, appeals and labour court cases, and handling arbitration cases is essential;
- For a candidate with a National Diploma: A minimum of 10 years’ cross-functional experience on a Specialized/Senior Legal Advisor level of which 5 years should include supervision. Experience in dealing with the interpretation of the Labour Act and employment contracts, appeals and labour court cases, and handling arbitration cases is essential;
- A valid Code B driver’s license.
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of applicable Namibian legislation;
- Experience in arbitration matters and appeal to labour courts thereof;
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills are required;
- Able to work well under pressure and communicate effectively with people at all levels;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with accuracy and attention to detail.