MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Implement the occupational hygiene and health management plan and ensure compliance with all occupational hygiene and health requirements as per applicable policies, procedures, regulations and laws.
Key Performance Areas:
- Conduct risk assessments and develop and implement standard operating procedures and control measures to prevent and/or mitigate occupational health and hygiene risks.
- Draft the risk based occupational health and hygiene monitoring programme.
- Identify, investigate and evaluate harmful conditions and potential hazards at the work place, and provide assistance and advice on corrective measures.
- Enforce compliance to applicable legislation, regulations and defectiveness.
- Advise and consult with line management, employees and contractors on health practices, development and monitoring.
- Conduct Occupational Health and Hygiene communication, training and awareness programmes.
- Coordinate Occupational Health and Hygiene reporting, sample and data analysis.
- Draft man-job-specifications and advise line management on the requirements.
- Implementation of the Medical Surveillance programme and Fitness to work.
- Apply technical expertise in detecting/identifying health hazards/situations on site that can lead to detrimental employee personal exposure.
- Apply, as far as reasonably practical, the principal of Hierarchy of control.
- Stop work where hazards are identified that are immediately detrimental to the health of employees.
- Advise operations on how to eliminate and/or minimize identified health hazards.
- Follow through to ensure that health hazards have been addressed and eliminated or minimized as far as reasonably practical.
- Initiate and maintain improved work practices and programs.
- Ensure applicable methodologies and procedures are adhered to and applicable instruments used.
- Coordinate the risk based Occupational Hygiene Monitoring Programme, addressing all applicable stressors.
- Use monitoring data as a foundation for sound Occupational Health decisions and apply an appropriate level of technical knowledge in the management of Health risks.
- Initiate and implement projects that improve and rectify work practices, should trends be unfavorable or indicate non-performances.
- Research exposures of individuals as and when required (Medical investigations).
- Conduct intricate risk assessment calculations to determine risk factors due to various health stressors as far as employees are concerned and use data obtained via routine and special monitoring programmes.
Requirements and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health/Hygiene/Environmental Health.
- 5 years’ experience in Occupational Health/Hygiene/Environmental Health.
- Sound knowledge of Namibian Occupational Health & Safety Regulations.
- Sound knowledge on Risk/Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment.
- Sound knowledge and application of Risk-based Occupational and baseline assessment.
- Sound knowledge in Hygiene Monitoring Programme.
- Sound knowledge on occupational hygiene monitoring and data analysis.
- Demonstrated knowledge of workplace health and safety practices.
- Experience in Quality Assurance and auditing.
- Registration as a Technologist or Hygienist with the Southern African Institute for Occupational Hygiene (SAIOH) will be added advantage.
- Registration with Health Professions Council of Namibia (HPCNA) will be an added advantage.
- Valid Code B/BE Driver’s License.