MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To provide geotechnical support to the open pit operations by coordinating short and medium term geotechnical issues, using available geotechnical data and results to determine and advise on the pit wall structural stability in a safe and efficient manner.
Key Performance Areas:
- Co-ordinate drilling programmes for all proposed drilling activities.
- Manage geotechnical data and develop models for design input.
- Assess the integrity of the soil, rocks and other natural conditions by means of face mapping.
- Design a cost effective pit slope with minimal waste stripping.
- Conduct Engineering Geology duties and surface investigative programs.
- Inspect and monitor active mining areas.
- Operate designated Geotechnical programmes within the given standards/objectives and targets, and ensure efficient and effective delivery of classified ore grade as per the mine plan.
- Analyse slope monitoring results to reconcile the slope performance against design.
- Evaluate impact of implemented stability controls on slope performance.
- Facilitate geotechnical input into planning models.
- Interpret data trends of slope monitoring points/ prisms (SMP’s) and Slope Stability Radars (SSR).
- Ensure that the instruments and field equipment maintained.
- Conduct field visits and collect information for geological mapping and GPS survey.
Requirements and experience:
- BSc. Degree in Geological Engineering or BSc. Geology degree with a post graduate Geotechnical qualification or equivalent.
- 5 years open pit mining working experience of which 2 years should be in a supervisory role.
- Proficient user of Rocscience (Slide, Swedge, Rocplane, RS2, Dips), Leapfrog or equivalent 3D geological software.
- Code 08 Drivers License.
- 4×4 driving skills is an added Advantage
- Registered with the SACNASP is an added Advantage
Closing date: January 02, 2023