Debmarine Namibia requires the services of a Sampling Geological Observer. The successful candidate will be required to observe, record and interpret geological data from marine deposits, and to assist with the geological mapping and sampling evaluation of the resource as well as assist in ensuring sampling and plant efficiency.
The incumbent will be deployed on the mv SS Nujoma sampling vessel on a 28 day on followed by a 28 day off work schedule and will be required to undertake the following activities:
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- Ensures effective clean-up through monitoring and accurate call on end of hole.
- Ensures effective plant recovery.
- Advises sampling tool operators of geological hazards and other adverse conditions that would affect sampling efficiency.
- Identifies and advises on possible drill bit blockages.
- Monitors and advise on sampling tool over or under penetration by geological observation of the screens, footwall identification and interpretation of geological data.
- Enforces QA/QC standards during sampling.
- Directs observations and logging of geological and metallurgical properties during sampling.
- Compiles geological information for sampling.
- Evaluates sampling performance and efficiency.
- Assists with ground-truthing of interpreted sampling and geophysical data.
- Capturing of data in the sampling database.
- Ensures that the geological log sheets are correctly captured and safely stored.
- Complies a shift report.
- Verifies correctness of geological information.
- Assists Geologist with interpretation of geological data.
- Takes photographs / rock samples on board vessel.
- Compiles maps.
- Provides input to the end of voyage report.
- Ensures optimum utilisation of geological information through effective communication.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- BSc degree in Geosciences/Earth Sciences (e.g. Geology/Geophysics).
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and Power Point.
- GIS (ArcView)/ Database MS Access) knowledge will be an advantage.
- One-year relevant experience
Please submit a comprehensive CV with proof of qualifications and experience to:
In the subject line please indicate position applying for.
For queries, please contact Evelina Ashipala on Tel: +264 61 297 8000.
Closing Date: 01 July 2022
– Preference will be given to Namibian citizens and designated persons as prescribed by the Namibian Affirmative Action Act.
– WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
– Only short-listed candidates will be contacted and shall be subjected to further assessment and screening. No personal documents will be returned.