A vacancy exists for a Project Hydrogeologist in the Health, Safety, Environment and Protection Services department. Reporting to the Specialist Environment, the successful candidate will provide expertise in the fields of Hydrogeology; water quality management and water-related project planning. This will be in accordance with the Namibian legal framework and Company’s objectives. The role is to further advance the understanding of risks, impacts and consequences of water related activities on the environment for the maintenance and improvement of environmental management at Rössing.
Key Performance Areas:
- Assuring compliance to Namibian and Rössing Mine water usage and quality standards.
- Assuring functioning of water recycling and seepage recovery systems.
- Managing and monitoring water quality
- Maintaining the RUL water quality database.
- Identifying and implementing improvement opportunities.
- Maintaining health, safety, and environmental standards.
- Effectively controlling budgets within the function
- Maintaining external relations.
Requirements and experience:
- Grade 12 certificate plus a recognized bachelor’s degree (NQF Level 7 or 8) in Hydrogeology.
- Minimum of five (5) years of working experience in Hydrogeology and environmental management within a mining sector
- Hydrogeology or Water Resource Management at the postgraduate level will be an added advantage.
- A valid Code B driver’s Licence.
- Demonstrated effective communication, presentation, negotiation, planning, organization, and facilitation skills.
- Working knowledge of environmental management systems (ISO 14001 standard)
- Project management skills and knowledge
- Working knowledge of risk assessment methodologies, data analysis, and interpretation skills.
- Computer literate (Microsoft office package, specifically Excel and Access).
- Groundwater data management expertise (specialized database, GIS, hydrogeological, and preferably modelling software).