MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
Coordinate all environmental monitoring aspects and ensure compliance with monitoring regulations and rules, provide technical and administrative support for all activities regarding environmental monitoring, documentation, and quality auditing. To monitor and verify that all environmental impacts are kept to a minimum during all phases of mining operations.
Key Performance Areas:
- Provide technical and administrative support for all activities regarding environmental monitoring, documentation and quality auditing.
- Coordinate and implement the Biodiversity and Bio-Physical Monitoring network and schedules.
- Oversee and provide support to the field team.
- Provide infield and technical troubleshooting solutions for monitoring and related equipment.
- Oversee daily monitoring stations and equipment management/inventory processes/compliance.
- Respond to and investigate hazardous conditions or spills and make recommendations to mitigate hazardous conditions.
- Interact closely with and support line supervisor in all aspects of environmental monitoring and quality auditing.
- Communicate valuable information to stakeholders and line management to work toward mitigating negative environmental impacts.
- Provide input to assist in development of facility specific compliance plans as it relates to land use and monitoring networks.
- Ensure the set-up of equipment or stations to monitor and collect pollutant information from operational sites.
- Implement programmes for monitoring of environmental pollution.
- Recommend processes to prevent violation of environmental regulations by monitoring trends/incidents.
- Provide information, technical and programme assistance to stakeholders on issues related to environmental protection.
- Assist with GIS implementation regarding data upload and map building.
- Liaise with consultants on a regular basis and provide information as required for official reporting. Review such reports as required.
- Facilitate consultant/contractor field visits and regular liaison with technicians of equipment suppliers.
- Report all environmental incidents that fall within designated area of responsibility.
- Maintain Biodiversity and Bio-physical Monitoring systems/databases.
- Follow procedures to collect and process environmental monitoring samples as scheduled, prepare samples for testing and analysis.
- Monitor/review pollution controls and/or identify sources of pollutants.
- Collect samples of gases, soils, water, wastes, industrial wastewater and other harmful products, in order to conduct tests on pollutant levels and identify sources of pollution.
- Conduct environmental monitoring, record test data and prepare reports, charts, summaries, including charts that interpret test results and file documents.
- Review and verify field data and monitoring reports, review Lab processes to ensure conformance to standards.
- Ensure that calibrations are conducted as per schedule and oversee infield processes.
- Maintain legislative and best practice standards and enforce in work instructions.
- Assist with the updating of the environmental permit register, audit permit conditions and implement corrective action.
- Assist and provide recommendations to ensure that rehabilitation and/or restoration of affected areas by Contractors or operational activities takes place, in accordance with approved plans or procedures.
- Prepare weekly and monthly environmental performance criteria reports.
- Provide monthly environmental incident trends and EMP compliance performance.
- Oversee Biodiversity and Monitoring Related Level 1 incidents.
- Attend relevant project meetings where environmental issues are addressed.
- Support and assist with environmental campaigns to improve environmental performance/raise awareness.
- Oversee Land Disturbance and Clearance Process and conduct regular inspections/audits of disturbed areas.
- Provide inputs into procedures and work instructions and ensure effective implementation thereof.
Requirements and experience:
- BSc / BTech / BA Degree in Environment Management or Natural Science.
- An Honors Degree or equivalent will be an added advantage.
- 3 years’ relevant experience in Environmental Monitoring preferably in a mining and/or large construction environment is an added advantage.
- Supervisory experience will be an added advantage.
- Off-road driving experience will be a distinct advantage.
- Valid Code B/BE Driver’s License.