Lepidico Chemicals Namibia (Pty) LTD, is majority owned by Lepidico Limited (“Lepidico”), which is a lithium exploration and development company focused on unlocking the value of hard rock lithium-rich mica deposits. Lepidico is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. Lepidico’s head office is in Perth, Western Australia and Corporate office is in Toronto, Canada.
Lepidico’s strategic objective is to become a vertically integrated sustainable lithium business from mine to battery grade lithium chemical production through the small-scale Phase 1 Project development. Lepidico Chemicals Namibia strives to be an equal opportunity employer in the Namibia mining industry, and a sustainable partner to its stakeholders. By converting one of the well-known lithium resources, at one of the oldest mines in Namibia known as Rubicon and Helikon Mines to a flagship modern mine. Lepidico Chemicals Namibia is managing the Karibib Project which is in the process of building a world class mining operation with a state-of-the-art concentrator, close to Karibib town in Erongo Region.
The principal responsibility of the role is to develop and implement the Lepidico Occupational Health and Safety Standards, including the development of H&S management plans, major hazard management, risk control and any other health and safety strategies as required.
The intent is for the incumbent to transition the project from construction to the operational phase. The role is based on site at Karibib.
Reporting to the Occupational Health and Safety Superintendent, this is a specialist position, in a new team involved in developing a new operation and integrated business from the Reporting to the General Manager Operations: Namibia, this is a ground upsenior management position, in a new team involved in developing a new operation and integrated business from the ground up.
The Occupational Health & Safety Superintendent is responsible for:
- The development and implementation of Lepidico’s Safety Management System
- Facilitate the Risk Management process
- Facilitate the Incident Investigation process
- Participate in the development of annual Site Health & Safety Management Plans
- Provide information and advice to line management on health & safety matters and performance trends
- Champion the pursuit of excellence in health and safety
- Support departments in the implementation of safety initiatives
- Attend all Area/Section Toolbox Meetings in advisory capacity
- Recruit, train and develop first responders including first aid and emergency response personnel
- Hazardous Substance Control Coordinator
- Coordinate the implementation of Occupational Hygiene and Health Surveillance programs
- Ensure all occupational health procedures are performed in accordance with relevant legislation and protocols.
- Manage Fitness for Work initiatives which include drug & alcohol testing, pre-employment & exit medicals, periodical health assessments and health promotional activities
- Oversee management of the site First Aid Room and equipment
- Training in safety systems including site inductions
- Manage the OH&S department personnel
- Managing first response staff
- Liaison with all site supervisors on health & safety issues and training needs
- Develop, implement, and deliver site safety training to suit the site’s needs while meeting relevant legislative requirements.
- Fire Protection Coordinator
- Facilitate internal site safety audits
- Monthly written report on activities and project progress.
- General duties and tasks as may be assigned to you by your supervisor.
Education and Experience:
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- More than 5 years’ experience in a similar role with exposure to OH&S management systems
- A qualification in OH&S management practice
- Qualifications and/or training in training, emergency response, risk management & ISO 45001
- Excellent inter-personnel skills; and can engage at all levels.
- Excellent report writing skills together with a high degree of computer literacy and experience in the MS Office suite of programs
- Code 08 drivers license
- Is an active team member and leader who has an open communication style, shares information, and contributes to an excellent working environment.
- Ability to multitask
- Results oriented, energetic, and decisive
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Resourceful with a practical common-sense approach
Lepidico Chemicals Namibia offers market related remuneration packages commensurate with experience and qualifications. Preference will be given to Namibian citizens and designated persons as prescribed by the Namibian Affirmative Action Act.
Interested candidates should forward their resumes and relevant, recently certified documents to:
Management reserves the right to use additional/relevant information as criteria for shortlisting. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted; should you not receive feedback after two weeks of the closing date, please take note that your application was unsuccessful.