Post Number : 6NASC1000RP
Grade : NO-B
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Windhoek
Job Family: Natural Sciences
Type of contract : Fixed Term Field
Duration of contract : 2 years with possibility of renewal
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 27 May 2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
ONLY CANDIDATES ENTITLED TO WORK IN NAMIBIA CAN APPLYLong DescriptionONLY CANDIDATES WHO ARE NATIONALS OF NAMIBIA CAN APPLY
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences (ADG/SC) and the direct supervision of the Head of the UNESCO Windhoek Office, the incumbent will contribute to the design, coordination and implementation of activities carried out under Major Programme II – Natural Sciences in Namibia in view of supporting the Member State in its effort to implement its National Development Plan (NDP) and the United Nations Sustainable Development Country Framework (UNSDCF) and contribute to the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the African Union Agenda 2063.
In particular, the incumbent is responsible for providing professional, and technical support, research and analysis, with an emphasis on the national context to develop, implement and evaluate programme initiatives to promote learning and sustainable societies, and support the Member State to advance science, technology, innovation, research and engineering to address contemporary environmental and societal challenges and build back better after the pandemic towards the implementation of the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science. The incumbent shall work as part of the Interdisciplinary team in the UNESCO Windhoek Office, in collaboration with relevant stakeholders, and with technical guidance from SC Programme Divisions at UNESCO Headquarters and the Natural Sciences Programme Specialists at the Multi-sectoral Regional Office for Southern Africa in Harare.
In this context, the incumbent will:
- Provide professional, and technical support in the identification, design, planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes and activities in the field of natural sciences in the country in the framework of Major Programme II and in line with the Natural Sciences Sector’s strategies and priorities, in order to promote learning and sustainable societies, and support the Member State to advance science, technology, innovation, research and engineering to address contemporary environmental and societal challenges and build back better after the pandemic towards the implementation of the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science.
- Coordinate and monitor development, implementation and evaluation of programmes and projects in the areas of Natural Sciences including the Ecological and Earth Sciences, the International Hydrological Programme (IHP) and the Policy and Capacity building.
- Stimulate and lead Office interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary initiates in the areas of environment, biodiversity, climate change, disaster risk reduction, science education, education for sustainable development, world natural heritage and world heritage biodiversity programmes and local and indigenous knowledge.
- Participate and provide technical support to UNESCO’s involvement in United Nations joint programming exercises with the framework of the UN Reform, such as Common Country Assessments (CCAs), the United Nations Sustainable Development Country Frameworks (UNSDCF).
- Identify and contribute to the formulation of the Office resource mobilization strategy and its biennial implementation plans in collaboration with other Programme Officers, in particular, develop interdisciplinary concepts and project proposals aimed at consolidating and complementing the regular budget funded programme activities in Natural Sciences and formulate the required resource mobilization and alternative funding mechanisms, partnerships strategies and plans to that end.
- Provide technical advice and support to the national institutions and other stakeholders in charge of sciences, technology and innovation for policy and research action-oriented activities on new emerging national and global trends in sciences, and contribute to the development of pertinent strategy papers, technical notes, frameworks and scientific documents, articles that contribute to the implementation of the UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Communication (C) Accountability (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) – For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of natural sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, geology, earth systems sciences, water science or other related field of natural sciences.
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience in programme and/or project implementation in the field of natural sciences and or related fields.
- Experience in designing and implementing sciences and technology policies and strategies.
- Experience in programme management, advocacy, resources, and partnership mobilization.
Skills and competencies
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s standard-setting instruments and programmes in the field of natural sciences and or related fields.
- Proven ability to draft clearly and concisely.
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities, scientific and research institutions, academia, and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Discretion and maturity of judgement.
- Good IT skill (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Excellent knowledge of English.
- Advanced university degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) in the field of natural sciences, engineering, environmental sciences, geology, earth systems sciences, water science or other related field of natural sciences.
- Experience in UN or international organizations.
- Broad and up-to-date knowledge of UNESCO’s international science programmes: IHP, IGGP, MAB, etc.
- Experience in coordinating inter-institutional platforms on programs especially with government bodies.
- Knowledge of another UN official language of UNESCO (French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish)
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.