As a leading strategic and dynamic institution, unique in our trade and very committed to our contribution to national development, NAMPORT, invites suitably qualied persons to apply for the following management position:
POSITION: LEGAL ADVISOR
DEPARTMENT: GOVERNANCE, RISK AND LEGAL
LOCATION: PORT OF WALVIS BAY
JOB GRADE: 05
PURPOSE OF THE JOB: The position acts as the Principal Legal Advisor to the Board, CEO and management and acts as Namport’s inhouse Legal Practitioner. The incumbent handles all Namport’s legal transactions, partnerships, and projects and provide Namport with legal assistance and advice by organizing legal activities, drafting legal documents, structuring solutions for disputes, and providing support in legal issues in order to guarantee that all our company’s transactions comply with state and industry laws and regulations and actively help Namport avoid possible legal risks and violations. The position manages a team of other Legal Practitioners and reports directly to the Executive: Governance, Risk and Legal.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
• Consult and lead all corporate legal processes such as acquisitions, compliance issues, transactions, partnerships, and lawsuits;
• Render advice on all legal aspects and matters within Namport and ensure that advice provided is precise and punctual;
• Develop and review legal contracts according to lay down requirements and the special conditions of such contracts.
• Assess legal implications of all actions and advise accordingly on the Namibian Ports Authority Act and all other related legislation;
• Prepare legal opinions, memoranda, and brief documents as and when requested and provides legal advice on specific issues as requested by Board and management;
• Initiate legal actions by arranging for notice and subpoena service and closely monitors progress of cases;
• Represent Namport in legal proceedings and formulate formalities regarding settlements of disputes;
• Develop/ Review legal compliance register and conduct internal, annual legal compliance audits;
• Handle contentious litigation of extraordinary debtors’ collections;
• Prepare the appropriate legal documents for trial or court proceedings and attend to litigations;
• Coordinate the appointment and deliverables of external legal representatives for court cases by preparing legal documents for attorney’s approval and use, by researching and analyzing law sources;
• Attend negotiations in settlement of disputes and personally defends Namport in labour court cases;
• Design, review and oversee the Namport’s policy, legal contracts, legal documents and position on legal matters and see to it that all documentations utilised by Namport is up to date, extremely accurate and precise and complies with legal requirements and that the interest of Namport is duly protected;
• Account for the renewal of contracts as required by taking responsibility for negotiations of such renewals;
• Promote good governance and management practices within the division;
• Guide management on regulatory and compliance issues to ensure compliance with legal regulations and make required recommendations to Management and Board of Directors;
• Develop/Review and monitor the implementation and adherence to governance policies such as the Conflicts of Interest Policy, Code of Ethics and Whistle-blowing and Complaints Policy; and
• Provide team leadership and manage performance.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
• Honours degree in Law, Legum Baccalaureus (LLB), or equivalent;
• Admitted as a Legal Practitioner;
• A minimum of seven (7) relevant work experience, of which three (3) should have been in a managerial and/ or senior supervisory/ specialist position;
• Prior corporate law experience as well as experience in the maritime industry will serve as an advantage;
• Broad legal knowledge and understanding of legal issues in the maritime industry;
• Discretion in handling confidential matters;
• High degree of professionalism, ethics, integrity and responsibility;
• Strong analytical, research and writing skills coupled with sharp attention to detail;
• Strong leadership skills, coupled with the ability to work well within a team and individually;
• Strong negotiator, critical thinker with advanced persuasion ability, as well as the ability to make good judgements and solve problems promptly; and
• Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in writing, interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong working relations with stakeholders at all levels.
WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY: FRIDAY, 11 FEBRUARY 2022
Namport is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing world-class port services to all local, regional and international seaborne traders, through excellent customer service, sustainable growth, development and social responsibility.
Women and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting their applications electronically via www.namport.com/careers/ All foreign qualications should be evaluated by NQA.
All enquiries and applications with full details regarding qualications, experience, and career achievements should be addressed to the under mentioned:- Manager: Employee Rewards & Experience Namibian Ports Authority (NAMPORT) | P O Box 361 | Walvis Bay, Namibia | Tel: 064 – 208 2486 / 2506 / 2307 / 2255
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No hand delivered, emailed or faxed applications will be considered.