Debmarine Namibia requires the services of a Geophysicist, for a specialist developmental role, shore based, within the Geophysics/Geosurvey discipline.
IN YOUR ROLE AS A GEOPHYSICIST, YOU WILL BE REQUIRED TO:
1. Data acquisition and processing: Under supervision of the Section Geophysicist, the Geophysicist will be actively involved with coordinating the company’s geophysical data acquisition and interpretation activities.
• Ad hoc client representative on survey campaigns.
• Review and perform QA/QC on all acquired geophysical datasets.
• Conduct in-house advanced geophysical processing of all datasets (chirp seismics, bathymetry, side scan sonar and back scatter data sets) to produce datasets ready for interpretation.
2. Data management: in collaboration with the Survey department, the Geophysicist is responsible for managing geophysical data storage and data delivery to the geological team.
• Management and housekeeping of data storage structure.
• Create and manage SDE layers (and other spatial outputs) for geological clients (bathymetry, side scan sonar and backscatter). • Data delivery communication – responsible for reporting, data packs, presentations, verbal meetings etc.
3. Data Interpretation: In collaboration with the exploration and production geology departments, the Geophysicist will undertake integrated interpretation of geophysical datasets with geological and sampling datasets.
4. Knowledge Management: Ensures active knowledge and skills transfer from the Section Geophysicist who may be available either internally within the Group of Companies or externally.
5. Innovation: The Geophysicist is expected to stay abreast of all geophysical industry best practises, advances and innovations and to actively seek to support the company’s R&D portfolio with a particular emphasis on the testing of new concepts and processes related to marine geophysics and seabed mapping.
6. Co-worker effectiveness:
• Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure geophysics discipline input during key projects technical gate reviews.
• Provide geophysical technical support as required across other departments and work collaboratively between teams to ensure that best practices, optimisations and innovations are consistently and efficiently applied.
THE FOLLOWING COMPETENCIES ARE KEY TO THIS POSITION: While a basic level of the competencies listed below is expected, the company will actively develop these areas under the guidance of the Section Geophysicist (either internally or externally). This development will take the form of ad hoc training periods at sea, office-based geological training, office-based training in data processing and QC as well as external course work in required software or other competency requirements.
• Good working knowledge of the 3 facets of marine geophysics: acquisition, processing and interpretation as well as the ways in which they interact and affect each other.
• Competency and practical experience in seismic data acquisition and processing, both single and multi-channel seismic data.
• Proficiency and awareness of bathymetry and side scan sonar data processing and interpretation.
• Working knowledge of specific geophysical data acquisition, processing and interpretation software (e.g Oasis Montaj/Sequent, Geosuite, IHS Kingdom, Petrel, ProMax etc) as well as Esri ArcGIS.
• Exposure to the integration of geological, geophysical and geotechnical drilling parameters for ground characterization.
• Practical competencies in integrated, multi-disciplinary team work in exploration and resource development.
• Basic knowledge of placer deposits and their formation.
• Interest in novel and innovative technology development and implementation.
• Creative thinker with a desire to challenge the status quo and conventional thinking with the ability to implement new ideas, processes and technologies.
• Very strong computer skills and an ability to adapt quickly to new software.
• Interest in data analytics, quantitative analyses.
• Data integration skills.
• Strong verbal, written, analytical and persuasive skills. Ability to write high quality technical reports.
• Team player with an outgoing nature who can work on own initiative with the ability to communicate and interact effectively across a diverse team.
• Be a positive safety minded contributor to the team with a strong commitment to safety at all times.
DO YOU MEET THE FOLLOWING EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS?
• BSc Honours in Geophysics/Exploration Geophysics. BSc Honours in Marine Geology or Petroleum Geology may be considered with specific course work or experience in geophysics, marine geology and sedimentology.
• 2 to 3 years’ experience working as a Geophysicist.
• Experience in the use of software such as IHS Kingdom, Geosuite, Petrel or related packages for seismic interpretation and 3D modelling.
• Experience in the use of GIS software (ArcGIS, QGIS or similar).
• Experience and awareness of marine geophysical methods and techniques.
• Knowledge of marine geology and sedimentology.
• Strong tertiary level mathematics and computing skills.
Interested applicants should send comprehensive CV with proof of qualifications and experience to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In subject line please indicate the position applying for. For queries, please contact Evelina Ashipala on Tel: +264 61 297 8000
Preference will be given to Namibian citizens and designated persons as prescribed by the Namibian Affirmative Action Act. WOMEN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and shall be subjected to further assessment and screening. No personal documents will be returned
CLOSING DATE: 4 NOVEMBER 2022