Key Duties and Responsibilities
The highly energetic incumbent, reporting to the Operations Director and/or his designate, will be a key support to senior management, and will be responsible to ensure effective implementation and adherence to environmental standards, procedures and guidelines applicable to the mining and processing operations, this includes implementation and adherence to requirements, conditions and action plans as outlined in the applicable Environmental legislation, applicable Permits, Environmental Clearance Certificate and commitments made in the Environmental Management Plan.
- Collect, coordinate, maintain, and update data required for environmental reporting, and identify the environmental risks associated with the mining operations, as well as assist in addressing potential problems
- Conduct regular routine environmental checks and monitoring data collection and submit monitoring data to relevant Governmental Authorities
- Arrange for specialist studies to be conducted as per Environmental Management Plan and submit the study reports to relevant Government Authorities
- Conduct internal audits, evaluate environmental audit reports compiled by environmental consultants and follow-up on audit report recommendations and corrective action implemented by the mines
- Assist with response to environmental incidents, accidents, and emergencies to ensure correct procedures are followed to minimize loss and impacts
- Report and investigate environmental incidents and maintain a system of reporting incidents, and
- Organize employee’s environmental awareness training to ensure that employees are familiar with the environmental risks associated with their duties, understand environmental aspects and impacts associated with work activities and understand environmental emergency response.
- Represent WBSH on stakeholder committees, workshops and seminars where required
The key skills and abilities required include:
- Knowledge of Management Systems & Audit Practices
- Knowledge of Incident Investigations and Root Cause Analysis
- Project Management Skills
- High level of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
- B.Sc. Degree in Environmental Management / Science or related field
- At least 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with a mining environment
- Advanced computer literacy
Interested persons, who are Namibian Citizens or have Permanent Residence, may apply in confidence by forwarding their CV to:
The HR Assistant – Walvis Bay Salt Holdings (Pty) Ltd at e-mail HR@wbsalt.com
Closing Date: 20 January 2022
– Applicants must be prepared to undergo an extensive selection process.
– The Company reserves the right not to fill this position.
– Only short-listed candidates will be notified, and no documentation will be returned.
– Walvis Bay Salt Holdings (Pty) Ltd is an EQUAL OPPORTUNITY employer – Women and Differently Abled Persons are encouraged to apply.