MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
To safely perform skilled maintenance and repair hydraulic fitting tasks in accordance with set standards, procedures and specifications, to achieve optimum equipment availability and process efficiency objectives.
Key Performance Areas:
- Perform skilled technical work within the parameters of the trade (i.e. fixed plant equipment / hydraulic machinery) in accordance with set standards, procedures and specifications, in area of responsibility.
- Strip, clean, inspect, calibrate, overhaul, service, test, assemble and reinstate all mechanical components such as valves, shafts, couplings, lubrication systems, winches, tapers, bearings, pins, sheavers and rollers, etc.
- Fit and remove bearings, bushes, pins, and shafts, valves, by means of liquid nitrogen, dry ice, oil bath and bearing heaters to accomplish repair work.
- Record the component serial number in the component change out ledger.
- Inform the Supervisor of all work performed in the section by reporting on work orders/requests, possible causes, estimated life span of components/ parts, spares used, time taken and recommendations to improve efficiency.
- Schedule maintenance activities.
- Conduct planned and unplanned maintenance tasks within time limits and according to (Original Equipment Manufacturer) OEM/owner specifications or Original Parts Manufacture (OPM).
- Provide advice and guidance on the effective repair and maintenance of equipment and machinery.
- Perform a variety of brazing and basic welding tasks using arc welding, semi-automatic welding, gas welding and gas cutting techniques.
- Perform ongoing fault-finding/running inspections on all equipment / structures and hydraulic machinery in area of responsibility.
- Investigate, maintain, adjust, repair faults and overhaul equipment and hydraulic machinery on site, in order to maximize the availability of equipment and hydraulic machinery, according to the set standards.
- Initiate innovative ideas to enhance efficiency within the area of work.
- Inform the supervisor of parts to be ordered timely to avoid delays.
- Complete work orders and submit to the supervisor to close the job order
- Comply to Company job safety and good housekeeping standards/practices at all times.
Requirements and experience:
- Grade 12, with a recognized Trade Certificate/Diploma in Fitting &Turning / Millwright and/or Diesel Mechanic.
- Post apprenticeship experience: Minimum 3 years in Fitting & Turning / Millwright and/or Diesel Mechanic.
- Experience in MS Office programmes: Excel, Word, Outlook, PPT,
- Knowledge of statutory requirements related to the trade.
- Broad based hydraulic knowledge.
- Fitting techniques.
- Fitting & hose fabrication skills.
- Interpretation of technical and schematic drawings
- Sound knowledge of Safety and Loss Control practices and task related procedures.
- Valid Code B/BE Driver’s License.